How much have I grown in faith? (Friday, Easter 2, 2021)

John 6:1-15 is an account of the miracle of the multiplication of the loaves, one of those miracles performed by Jesus as recorded by John. In the gospel account of John, the miracles performed by Jesus are described as signs. A sign points to a reality outside of itself; it is not the reality itself. Now, miracles, being signs, are meant to help us believe not in the signs but in the reality to which the signs point to: that is, Jesus. One thing about the signs performed by Jesus is that we don’t need to experience millions of them in order to believe in Jesus. Just a sign directly experienced by us or narrated by someone else should be enough for us to believe.


But what obtains in our time (as it was in the time of Jesus) is that people seem to have preferred signs to Jesus to whom the signs point to. This may be understandable considering the fact that many, if not all, have real life problems to be solved. And Christianity seems to have been completely reduced to a problem-solving or solution-centered enterprise. Yes, I expect God to answer my prayers or solve my problems. But when nothing happens as I expected, does that make God less a God? If my faith does not go beyond a mere experience of “miracles”, “signs” and “wonders”, then it will be very difficult for me to stand up for Jesus or bear witness to Him when my life is beset by adversities or when my expectations are not met.


The faith shown by the disciples in Acts 5:34-42 is not a “sign-dependent” faith. That is why they were all out and ready to bear witness to Jesus even in the most difficult circumstances. If their faith was still at the level of “miracles”, “signs and wonders”, they would have abandoned the entire project of speaking in the name of Jesus especially in such a very hostile Jewish environment. After being flogged for preaching Christ, we are told that they even rejoiced that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of Christ. This is what it means to be mature in faith! 


John 6:2 tells us that a large crowd followed Jesus because they saw the signs which He did on those who were diseased. In other words, their “followership” of Jesus was dependent on the signs which were performed by Him. Just like other signs, the sign of the multiplication of the loaves points to Jesus. Later on, many of those people who followed Jesus because they saw signs would back off when the reality of the sign of the multiplication of the loaves is unveiled (cf. Jn. 6:55.60.66-69). Why do I follow Jesus? Is my faith in the “signs” or in Jesus to whom the signs point to? Until I face these questions bluntly, I will never know how much I have grown or matured in faith.


Prayer:

O Jesus, as Your love for me is unconditional, help me believe in You unconditionally, Amen!


Have a faith-filled day!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts versus the Giver (Monday, Week 20, Year II)

Persecution and Triumph, the Two Realities of Christian life (Saturday, Week 33, Year 2, The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary)

Enkindle the Embers of Unity, Quench the Fire of Disunity (Wednesday, Week 22, Year A)